Skip to main content

Tutorial:The Basics and notes of a Flute

 Hello all! 

This is my second tutorial on this page and I wanted it to be something very contrasting from the rest of the content. Hence, this...

I held a flute in my hand for the first time in my life, back when I was 12. And though I confess that I don't practice it much these days (also, I'm no music genius), it holds a special, evergreen place in my memory and heart. This write-up focuses on the very easy technique of playing some basic notes.
Happy learning!

 The Flute

Flutes are of different types based on the type of sounds they produces. There are bass flutes or Piccolos and so many more! As we're focusing on a very basic aspect, I'll demonstrate on a basic plastic flute which I own.

This is what my flute looks like.

Section 1: Are Bansuri and flute the same?
             No, they aren't the same thing. 
  • A Bansuri is a type of flute. It is usually made from Bamboo or other types of woods. 
  • A bansuri is always blown from sides with a tilted angle. Ever seen Lord Krushna playing a bansuri? That's how it is aligned and held. It produces softer and low pitched tones. It is not surprising, therefore, that bansuris are preferred for classical music and slow dances where a soft touch is required.
Lord Krushna playing his bansuri

  • A flute on the other hand, is held perpendicular to your lips. As a result, air is blown directly to the pipe resulting in more forceful and high pitched notes. Thus, the use of flutes is restricted to orchestras and bands where shriller sounds are intended. It is also used by beginners due to its easy usage.
Me? I say use whatever way you're happy with but if it's your first time and you're really confused, I will say use the flute mode and not the bansuri one.

Section 2:  The Swarspatak
Indian classical music, the chromatic scale and the universal music notes focus on seven basic notes :

 Sa  Re  Ga  Ma  Pa  Dha  Ni 
 सा    रे     ग     म     प     ध      नि
 C     D    E     F     G     A     B
Do  Re  Mi   Fa   So   La     Ti

How can I play the above notes?

A flute has six finger holes as shown below. We will alternately cover and open these to produce music! 
And guess what? It's not as complicated as you must have thought it was.
Hold the flute in both hands. The left hand above the right one and follow the steps given below.
The six finger holes
All you need: The index, middle and ring fingers of both your hands.
  1.  Use the three fingers mentioned above of your left hand to cover the upper three holes.
  2. Use the same three fingers of your right hand to cover the lower three holes. It must look something like this:

  3. Voila! The rest is a piece of cake.
Sa
The steps counted above lead to the basic Sa or Do. 6 holes covered? Check!
 It looks like this:


Re
Uncover the lowest hole that is to say, remove the ring finger of your right hand. Here's Re:


Ga 
Removs the middle finger of your right hand. You have two uncovered tone holes from below now. Ga or Mi looks like:


Ma
The quick learner that you are, you must have by now guessed what Ma or Fa must look like while playing a flute. If not, don't worry. Here's the pic:
Thus, Ma utilises only the three fingers of your left hand and only the upper three holes are now covered.

Pa
Well...see for yourself:


Dha
Dha utilises only a single finger of your left hand as only the topmost hole is covered.


Ni
Ni is the simplest of them all where no hole is covered.


 Sa
In music, even if the number of tones is seven, they are usually found in octaves where the last note is one octave higher than the first. 
The difference between the Sa you first learnt and this one is of a simple thing: An octave. 
The final Sa is higher than the first Sa.

The final Sa is what is what beginners find a little tricky to recall and execute but really, it's fairly easy. Here's how it looks:


If you observe the image, you'll notice that I've uncovered the topmost hole by removing my left index finger and the rest is the same as the first Sa.

Section 3: Practice, Practice and Practice!  Try singing the octave while playing, add some spice by learning a few basic pieces and overall, enjoy your newly acquired skill!

Hope you had a great time learning and this write-up helped you. If it did, share your amazing maestro skills with others too. Afterall, sharing your knowledge is the most melodious tune you can play!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Whole New World

A Whole New World by Brad Kane and Lea Salonga  © Universal Music Publishing Group My only wish? I want my prince to show me all the wonders in the world while we fly a date. An addition: We need to sing this one! This song literally leaves me speechless each time I hear it. It gives me shivers till my hair get raised. An excellent original by Disney, ' A whole new world ' breaks all the rules of breathtaking and rises my expectations for music and love. Not a girly one, nor a macho-sided one; this is the perfect duet with high couple goals. The music video shows traces of an exciting friendship which turns into a great melody with the help of 90s animation. Jasmine (a lonely princess who's never seen the world outside her palace) hesitates to join Aladdin as he tries to display the world in front of her. Her curiosity changes to a buzzing confidence as Jasmine reciprocates Aladdin's feelings by singing with him. And soon, it's pure and clear love

Proud Corazón

© Universal Music Publishing Group I love Coco . It's one of the premium category movies in the shelf of my mind. I would actually be more surprised if I did not adore it. •It has a great and soul-satisfying tale. •It has an awesome animation (which means lots of colours, Yay!) •The characters connect to my being, somewhere within the folds of my heart. And to top this treat, we have great songs. There isn't a single song which is ill-placed or something. I'm grateful to everyone who worked on Coco 's soundtrack and made it my favourite musical. And trust me, I'm not a huge fan of musicals (though they're definitely neat). Coco is a based on Mexican culture and showcases the tradition of Dia de Muertos (The Day of the Dead). I won't give any spoilers (and, that's not the purpose of this write-up anyway), but I highly recommend watching this delicious Disney production. If it's your ideal type, you'll love every second of it!

Everytime (Punch + Chen)

 "Oh, Everytime, I see you...." That's all. That's truly all it takes to drive my mind out of my cosy body and push it over the cliff into the amazing world of Descendants of the sun . DOTS was my first Korean drama and I loved every pixel of its aesthetic and wallpaper-ish scenery, every syllable of its mind-blowing dialogues and of course, every decibel of its soundtrack. It doesn't surprise me at all that DOTS owns one of the most famous soundtracks with each masterpiece in it fitting every single stage of love, friendship, heartbreak and above all, fairy tales... I figured what confessions mean through Always , being in love was taught by You are my everything ; and a lot of other songs showed me a diversity in the shades of tender feelings. But, above all Everytime canvasses the stage one of love: falling for someone. That's the beauty of songs, you understand human emotions in a beautiful technique; minus the hassle and plus a melody. Everytime